+ How do I identify an MTUD employee?

Every MTUD employee is dressed in a uniform that has an MTUD logo on the shirt. They also carry an official picture I.D. card, which should be in plain view. If you have a question about an employee please call (609) 655-1050 or (732) 521-1700.

+ Why is there chlorine in my water?

A century ago, acute diseases such as typhoid fever and cholera were a very real threat to communities in the United States, because bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms that caused these diseases were found in public drinking water.

However, for almost 100 years, water suppliers in America and other countries have used chlorine to disinfect drinking water.

Disinfection is an effective way to kill these microorganisms. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, and other health agencies, chlorine is currently one of the most effective disinfectants to kill harmful microorganisms. Federal and state laws and regulations, including the Safe Drinking Water Act require disinfection of all public water supplies. Even if a different method of disinfection (For example, ultraviolet light, ozonation, the USEPA regulations require a chlorine residual in the water leaving the plant so that there is a measurable residual at the furthest extremities of the distribution system.)

Certain segments of the general population may be more sensitive to chlorine than others, if you notice the presence of chlorine in your drinking water; there are steps you can take to eliminate the taste and odor of chlorine.

  • You may want to use a carbon pour through type filter. There are several on the market, Brita, Pur, and Ametec, to name a few.

  • You can also fill a plastic jug (such as a milk jug) and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for a short period of time and the chlorine in the water will dissipate.

+ What is the white residue in my coffee pot or cooking vessels?

Water contains minerals that are left behind when the water is heated or evaporates. These minerals, as well as the drinking water, are safe. However, they can leave spots on glassware such as coffee pots and shower doors, which are commonly referred to as "hard water stains". The spots can also be caused by the over use of some dish detergents.

The spots should come off by washing and/or reducing the amount of dish detergent.

+ Where is the shut-off valve in my house?

Normally, the shut-off valve is located at the water meter, or near where the service line enters the house. Everyone in the family should know the location of the valve, and know how to turn it off. In case of an emergency, such as a burst pipe, fast action could prevent costly damage from flooding.

Turning the handle in a clockwise fashion generally closes water valves. If the valve does not turn at all, do not force it, as it may break. Rather you may want to have the valve repaired.

+ What is the white material in my faucets strainer?

The cause of this could be from the disintegration of the dip tube in the hot water heater, as some dip tubes have been known to disintegrate and fall apart.

There is a little known problem that is just starting to become recognized, water heaters made in the 1991-1996 range are particularly susceptible.

If you notice this material in the aerators (strainers) of your faucet, there are two paths of action that you can take. Call us for help before pursuing further action.

  • The remaining dip tube can be removed and replaced.

  • The hot water heater can be replaced.

+ Who is responsible for the service line that supplies water to my home?

The MTUD is responsible for the line that connects the water main to your property up to the curb stop; care and responsibility from the curb stop onto your property and into the house are the homeowner’s. The information listed above is also true for sewer laterals. The exception is Clearbrook, Encore, Rossmoor, and the Ponds, where "gang" meters exist. There are large meters located in a pit, which meters a section of homes. In the event of a problem, the section is responsible for all the service lines after the meter pit.

+ Who is responsible for the sewer line that removes the waste to the sanitary sewer?

The MTUD is responsible for the line that connects the water main to your property up to the curb stop; care and responsibility from the curb stop onto your property and into the house are the homeowner’s. The information listed above is also true for sewer laterals. The exception is Clearbrook, Encore, Rossmoor, and the Ponds, where "gang" meters exist. There are large meters located in a pit, which meters a section of homes. In the event of a problem, the section is responsible for all the service lines after the meter pit.

+ Who owns the water meter?

The MTUD owns and maintains your water meter. That is why state law requires that during normal hours of operation we be allowed access to your water meter. The actual meter is usually located inside the home, where it should be protected from freezing. Nearly all homes and businesses have remote reading devices located on the outside of the house, this device allows us to read the meter from the outside, and thus preventing an inconvenience to our customers.

+ Is fluoride added to the water?

The MTUD does not fluoridate the water supply.

+ When does fire hydrant flushing take place?

Hydrant flushing is performed two times per year, in the spring and fall

+ Why are the fire hydrant flushed?

The hydrants are flushed for three reasons, first to clean the water system and flush out any iron and/or sediment that may have been deposited in the water mains during the course of the year.

Secondly, to make sure the fire hydrants operate properly in the event they are needed to fight a fire. And last to perform an inspection and grease the hydrant.

+ Why do I have low flow or pressure?

There are several possible reasons which would cause low flow or pressure.

  • A valve or valves located in the home are partially closed Locate and open the valves to the affected area, these valves could be located at the water meter, in the overhead of the basement, under sinks and behind toilets, etc.

  • The inline filter is clogged restricting flow and pressure. Check the filter system to ensure that the valves on the filter are complete open, if they are then you will need to remove and change the filter cartridge. Always follow the manufactures instruction on this procedure.

  • Your irrigation and domestic system are on at the same time. One or the other system will need to be turned off during periods of heavy demand.

  • The entire distribution system in your neighbor hood is being over utilized, typically during the early morning (2am-8am) when everyone is watering lawns trying to keep them green. Please reprogram your irrigation clock to 10pm - 3am to avoid low pressure.

+ Why is my water discolored?

Iron from our ground water wells is sometimes deposited in the water mains, and when the normal operation of the distribution system is disrupted, the iron is picked up from the bottom of the main and carried along with the flow of water and occasionally into our customer’s homes. This is especially true during the times in which we flush the water system, or after a fire. Lately, we’ve had to use two of our wells, which have a higher iron concentration. The MTUD is constructing an iron removal plant to rectify this problem.

The water supply is safe.

Though the iron is not harmful, it may discolor your water. If this happens, simply allow your cold water tap to run for a short period of time, until it is clear. If the hot water is discolored you need to flush out your hot water heater as iron collects there. Go to the directory on our website for flushing out your hot water heater. We flush the water system two times per year, between the hours of 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. and it takes a couple of hours for any remaining iron to settle down. Avoid washing clothes during this time. This is why we post flushing notices in the news papers, on your water bill and around town at public buildings and stores.

+ What do I do if I have a water leak in the house?

Turn off the water in your home, if this is not possible call the MTUD and we will respond and shut the water off at the curb. If the water is shut off at the curb you will need to call us a second time to come out and turn the water back on, after the leak has been repaired. We do not charge for emergencies. If you are making changes to your plumbing and need us to shut off your service temporality, there is a charge.

+ What are the flags, stakes, or paint on my street or yard?

If you have ever experienced an extended loss of utility service — gas, electric, telephone or water, due to accidental damage, you will understand the importance of these paint markings, stakes and flags that service providers use to mark out their underground pipes and wires.

Mark-outs can be a minor inconvenience. Painted codes can be a little unsightly; stakes and flags can get in the way. The alternative however, can be very serious. Excavation work performed without clear mark-outs can damage under underground facilities. Loss of certain utility services drastically affects your way of life. Accidents can be very dangerous.

What's the solution? Simple patience. New Jersey One Call (NJ1C) is a service established by New Jersey law to provide the highest possible assurance that utility services will not be disrupted by excavations. To be in compliance with the law, contractors must obtain mark-outs, and once they have been established, excavation must commence within 10 business days. After that the flags may be removed.

Considering the potential problems, you will understand that mark-outs must be clearly visible. And while we understand that such visible markings can be a bit unsightly, it's important that anyone whose property is marked cooperate with the procedure. The paint that isn't eventually removed by the actual excavation will wear away faster that you'd imagine, or will grow out on a lawn and disappear with mowing. It's very important that you avoid moving or removing flags or stakes if at all possible.

+ I smell a sewer odor in my house, what is the cause?

The cause of this odor could possibly be from a dry trap in the waste discharge line. Run some water in the drain from which the odor is emitting. This will fill up the trap with water and prevent sewer odors from wafting back up the drain.

+ I have 2 pipes sticking up in my front lawn, what are they?

The two pipes that you see in your front lawn are protection boxes that protect the below ground water shut off valve and the sanitary sewer lateral clean out.

This water shutoff allows us to shut off the water supply to your house in the event of an emergency or to perform repair work, and the sewer clean out allows for the sewer lateral to be cleared of any obstruction.

+ The sewer grates in the street are overflowing, what do I do?

These grates cover the intake for the storm sewer and are not connected to or are a part of the MTUD sanitary sewer system. They are a part of a separate storm drain system.

The Department of Public Works (732-656-4575) should be notified if there are any problems.

+ I smell an odor coming from the grate in the street, what is the odor from?

The smell could be from standing water in the catch basin or it could be that an animal has gotten into the storm sewer, expired and the smell is emitting from the dead animal. The Department of Public Works should be notified if this occurs.

+ The sewer is backing up in my home, what do I do?

Call the MTUD 24 hours a day, and a representative will ask you some questions and try to determine the cause of the problem over the telephone. If this cannot be done our personnel will respond to your home, and assess the situation, determine what type of problem exists and who is responsible for repairs

+ Why do I receive a bill for water and sewer during the time that I am away?

These fixed charges apply to those costs that do not fluctuate with the amount of water delivered or sewage pumped. These costs include but are not limited to labor, repairs, and maintenance of the water and sewer systems, as well as administration and debt service.

+ I want to have my home winterized. What is the procedure?

Customer fills out permit "solid lines only", which can be obtained at the concierge desk, and pays the fee (checks only). Association issues a permit number.
Association mails original to MTUD, with check. Association keeps goldenrod copy Association gives owner 2 copies of permit (owner and contractor) and (1) one meter reading post card. Contractor fills in meter reading "OUT" portion and retains pink copy until de-winterization. Contractor fills in meter reading card and mails to the MTUD. When contractor reinstalls the meter, he fills in meter reading "IN" portion on pink copy. Contractor immediately returns pink copy to the MTUD. Customer contacts MTUD and schedules appointment for reseal. The MTUD will reseal the meter.

+ I've been playing property taxes a long time, why don't I have sewers or city water?

The MTUD does not use property taxes; its revenue is solely from separate water and sewer bills and connection fees. Typically, water and sewer facilities are built by developers and then dedicated to the MTUD to own, operate and maintain. The cost of these facilities is covered in the cost of those developers' homes. Where health concerns exist, or to improve the capacity or reliability of the system, the MTUD can extend water or sewer lines.

+ What is the "pink stuff" in my bathroom?

Pink residue is less likely a problem associated with water quality than with naturally occurring airborne bacteria, and is also affected by the homeowner's cleaning habits. The bacteria produces a pinkish film, and sometimes a dark gray film, on surfaces that are regularly moist, including toilet bowls, shower heads, sink drains, and tiles.

Although the exact species of bacteria is not known, most experts have concluded that this pink staining is most likely from the bacteria Serratia marcescens. These bacteria thrive on moisture, dust and phosphates and are widely distributed, having been found naturally in soil, food, and also in animals.

Many times, the pinkish film appears during and after new construction or remodeling activities. Once airborne, the bacteria seek moist environments to proliferate. Some people have even noted the pink residue in their pet's water bowl, which causes no apparent harm and can be easily cleaned off. Others have indicated that their experience with this nuisance occurs during a time of year that their windows are open for the majority of the day. These airborne bacteria can come from any number of naturally occurring sources and the condition can be further aggravated if customers remove the chlorine from their water by way of an activated carbon filter.

What To Do: The best solution to keep these surfaces free from the bacterial film is continual cleaning. A chlorinous compound is best, but use care with abrasives to avoid scratching the fixtures, which will make them even more susceptible to bacteria. Chlorine bleach can be periodically stirred into the toilet tank and flushed into the bowl itself. As the tank refills, more bleach can be added. A toilet cake that contains a disinfectant can keep a residual in the water at all times. The porous walls of a toilet tank can harbor many opportunistic organisms